Saturday 2 January 2010

New Year's Resolutions

So Christmas is over and another year begins, what will it bring? The first of January is a time when many people decide to make New Year’s resolutions. These are generally designed to improve our lives or make us better people in some way. Over the years, I’ve made many resolutions and over the years I’ve also broken many of them as they are often very difficult to stick to! The most common ones usually involve giving up something that you really enjoy such as smoking, drinking, biting your nails and chocolate (in fact all delicious food) or starting something new such as getting fit or learning a new language. At the party I went to last night everyone was discussing what resolutions they were going to make. Lynn is giving up smoking (for about the tenth time) so are Mark and Jules however, they said that New Year’s day doesn’t count so are starting on the 2nd!! Harry is giving up drinking for 2 months to prove to his wife that he can! Janice wants to give something back to society so is going to do voluntary work for a local charity, more surprisingly she also said that she’s going to get married...you may not think this is strange however, I do as she currently doesn’t have a boyfriend! Oh well I guess you have to admire her optimism! Steve and Kevin both want to change their jobs as they both hate them (I can highly recommend teaching). Then there’s Chris who says that they are pointless and you should make anti-resolutions like put on weight, start taking drugs and drink more alcohol (quite difficult if you are British!) I really hope that David Beckham has made a resolution to win the World Cup because that would make many Brits very happy, we can dream!! Anyway, this year I’ve made more than anyone I know. Here they are:

1. See my friends and family more.
2. Each month visit somewhere in London that I’ve never been to
3. Be much tidier at home and at work (my desk is always a mess)
4. Laugh more
5. Get fitter
6. Do my Greek homework every week

I’ll let you know how my friends and I get on with these resolutions and if you have any unusual resolutions yourself let me know, I wish you good luck with yours. Hope you have a happy and prosperous 2010!!

Glossary

Resolution - a decision or statement that is agreed by an individual or a group
To stick to (something) - to keep or continue with something
to give up (something) - to quit or stop doing something
to prove - to show something is true by providing facts
Voluntary work - work that you aren't paid for
Charity - an organisation that gives money, goods or help to people who are poor, sick or in need of help
Strange - odd or unusual
Optimism - tendency to believe that good things will happen
to put on - to gain

Brits - British people
Mess - untidy or not neat
Prosperous - rich and successful

No comments:

Post a Comment