Monday 4 January 2010

Idiomatic illness

Good afternoon everybody and Happy New Year! How are you? Did you have a peaceful holiday? My Christmas and New year were a bit of a wash out. I'm sorry to say that I've been a bit under the weather. In fact, on New Year's Eve I even felt like I was at death's door! I bounced back though and was on the road the recovery on Saturday, and was chomping at the bit to come back to work yesterday. Although I wouldn't say that I was as right as rain yet, I'm over the worst of it and am feeling full of beans today and raring to go!

Now, how much of my post do you understand? If you know what an idiom is, you've probably realised that I didn't have a very good New Year because I was ill. But what exactly do the idioms in bold mean? What do you think? I'll give you the answers next week!
Image taken from www.hunt.fm

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    After the first reading I was a little worried and I continued to read. I didn’t want to use dictionary and I have read 3 times more. I think I understand the content :) and my estimates are as follows
    Under the weather: You didn’t feel very well and the weather affected your health.
    At death’s door: You look seriously unwell
    Bounced back: To recover
    On the road to recovery: You are getting better
    Full of beans: To talk absurdly
    Bahar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bahar,

    Thanks for leaving a comment. Idioms are one of the hardest thing to learn in English as they use language in a non-literal way. Your guesses are pretty good:

    Under the weather: this just means "to feel unwell". It has nothing to do with the weather! We use it for common illnesses, like a cold or a sore throat.

    At death's door: you got this one right - it means to feel very sick and we often use this to exaggerate how bad we're feeling!

    Bounced back: correct!

    On the road to recovery: correct!

    Full of beans: this means "to feel full of energy" and we often use it to describe how you feel after you have recovered from an illness. I'm afraid it has nothing to do with talking!

    Can you work out any of the others? I'll put up the rest of the definitions next week.

    Thanks,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete