Monday 10 August 2009

Being the Apprentice

A couple of weeks ago in my Young Business English class we were talking about advertising.

One of the things we looked at was an episode of a very popular BBC TV show called "The Apprentice". If you've never seen this programme, think of it as Big Brother for business people. Every week the contestants (or candidates in this case) are set challenges, ranging from selling trampolines to creating perfume. Every week, one team is declared the winner, and every week one member of the losing team - the one who is judged to be the most responsible for losing the task - is "fired". At the end of the series, the final candidate is offered a job with a six-figure salary.

The programme we watched in class had a simple task: to create a new brand of breakfast cereal and to film a TV advert. As usual, one team did a slightly better job than the other and from the losing team the Project Manager was fired. My class were then set the same challenge. They each had to create a new brand of breakfast cereal and a TV advert, in English of course!

After several hours of brainstorming, discussion, script-writing and rehearsals, two new cereals were born: Cosmo Flakes and Victory Flakes. Each team then had to pitch their new cereal to the rest of the class (and me) and present their advert. We then voted for the best idea and, by the narrowest of margins, Cosmo Flakes won the task! Have a look at the winning advert below.

What do you think? Would you buy this cereal? Let us know by leaving a comment in the box below.

Special thanks to Michele and Eleonora (the kids), Remo and Daniela (Mum and Dad), and Koji the cameraman.

Glossary

apprentice somebody who is learning how to do a particular job by following a course which combines practical experience and actual practice in the job.

a six figure salary a salary which is over 100,000 pounds.

brainstorming an activity where the main aim is to create as many ideas as possible e.g. "this morning's brainstorming meeting was really successful - we had some really useful ideas".

to pitch to present an idea or a new product

by the narrowest of margins by a very small amount e.g. Manchester United won by the narrowest of margins when they beat Chelsea 1-0.

4 comments:

  1. Can I do a Dragon's Den style response to that? Yes, I can? Great, thanks.

    (If you don't know what Dragon's Den is, check this out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/ )

    Duncan Bannatyne: I'd like to just let you know where I am on this, ok? I think you've got a brand, but your knowledge of your figures is Frightening! So, I'm out.
    Deborah Meaden: I think you're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist, and for that reason, I'm out.
    Richard Farleigh: I'm a prolofic investor of UK technology start-ups, so I won't be investing. I'm out.
    Theo Paphetis: Do you really expect me to risk my grandchildren's inderitance on this? I'm a retail magnate, and for that reason, I'm out.
    Peter Jones: I like the advert, I like the product. I like you. With this product, you could make... millions. But you'll need support. I can give you that support. That's why I'd like to invest the full amount, in return for a 100% equity stake. I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look at the website for dragon's den, i know is a tv programme but i don't undertsand, what does it mean? Also words you written really difficult vocabulary, explain please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The programme goes like this:

    There are five 'dragons' who are all very well established business people who have money to invest in new businesses. People with new businesses that need some funding (money) present their ideas to the 'dragons' who decide if their business is worth them investing (putting money into) in. Sometimes the 'dragons' are brutal (very mean) if they think the idea is bad!

    Thank you for your comments on the vocabulary. When we started this blog we had a glossary for every post, but we are deciding at the moment what the best way is to present this vocabulary. Keep reading the blog.... we hope it is getting better all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a short glossary on the post now. I hope it helps. Please let me know if there are any other words or phrases I can help you with!

    ReplyDelete